A little background on Bishops Stortford:
Call 01992 233 234 or Freephone 0800 880 6024
Nothing significant happened in Bishop's Stortford until it became a small Roman town, but eventually was abandoned in the 5th century after the break down of the roman Empire. The Saxons settled on this site and named the hamlet 'Steort-ford' meaning "tail ford" or "ford at tongues of land". William, Bishop of London bought Stortford Manor in 1060, this paved the way for the name of the town as we know today.